Sourdough bread is said to be healthier than other types of bread. Why is it so? Here are 10 reasons why you should eat sourdough bread.
1. Sourdough (wild yeast) contains probiotic bacteria similar to those that you can find in yogurts and fermented foods.
2. Elements such as iron, magnesium and zinc are more easily available and therefore better absorbed.
3. Fermentation leads to the production of bioactive peptides which have antioxidant properties.
4. Fermentation enhances the bioavailability of folates (folic acid).
5. Sourdough bread contributes to reducing the cholesterol levels due to larger amounts of beta-glucans.
6. Sourdough bread has a low glycaemic index.
7. Consumption of sourdough bread results in increased satiety.
8. Gluten-free sourdough bread can reduce inflammation in people with celiac disease who have just started their gluten-free diet.
9. The acidic environment prevents the formation of moulds and their harmful products (aflatoxins) for a longer time.
10. It’s not rocket science: we all intuitively know that natural things are always healthier and more valuable. Filled with best intentions, good vibrations, passion and love, home-made bread will always taste the best!
Photo by: Antonina Dolani